Pages

Tuesday 1 October 2013

Preliminary Task Project Log

 
 

This is a video version  illustrating the different steps I took during the preliminary task. The written version of this project log can be found below:


At the beginning of the course we were welcomed by this year’s theme – a music magazine, having not done media before I was rather excited about the prospect of creating and designing my own magazine.  To begin with, we were set a preliminary task which involved creating a magazine for the school.  In our first lesson, we went around the school and took a variety of pictures including portrait and landscape shots using a DSLR camera. I decided to take a picture of my two peers Natalie and Oscar with the background of the school behind to represent student life. I later chose this photo to be displayed on my cover page. I also took photographs of the demolishing of the old sports gym and used these for my contents page.

In the second lesson, we sketched out our draft designs for the cover page and contents page of our magazines. I began drawing my design in pencil as I was still unsure on a name for the magazine. I originally liked the name ‘Haydonews’ however I believed it was a little too boring and confusing as there would only be one n. After some debate, I changed the name to ‘Haydon Times’ and believed the simplicity and straightforwardness of the name was suitable for the theme and genre of my magazine.  I also sketched out the main image and headlines I was going to incorporate on the front cover page. I kept the layout of my contents page simple and easy to read to attract the reader’s attention. I also made it visible that I was going to include two images within the page. After I was happy with my decisions I used a finer liner to outline the pencil markings. I found the draft designs to be very useful as they gave me a clear idea on the layout and the different features I was going to include when designing my magazine in Adobe InDesign

No comments:

Post a Comment